Hello everyone! I hope yesterday was a Happy Valentine’s Day for you. My husband and I celebrated by attending a Marriage Retreat over the weekend. This is our 3rd year celebrating with Faith Fellowship Church at their Annual Marriage Retreat.
Let’s Get LIFTed – Marriage Retreat
The theme for this year’s marriage retreat was “Let’s Get LIFTed.” LIFT = Living In Faith Together (each day). The weekend festivities included the following:
Friday Evening- Meet & Greet – Each couple took turns introducing themselves to the group. Then we were given gift bags and dismissed for Date Night.
Saturday Morning – Speakers – The first speaker spoke on the topic of Putting Fun In The Marriage. He shared some of the things he and his wife do to keep their marriage alive and exciting, and encouraged us to do what we enjoy with each other.
The second speaker’s topic was Praying For Your Spouse, and she discussed the importance of praying for our spouses daily. Here’s a brief summary of her message.
- The institution of marriage is under attack and without prayer we are vulnerable.
- Our children are learning how to treat their spouses as they witness how their parents treat each other.
- We must be content with what we have and not compare our spouses to others.
- God will deal with us when we complain to Him about our spouses. Instead of fixing the spouse, He will show us the imperfections that we possess, which causes us to see fault with the spouse.
- When we neglect praying for our spouses, it’s like sending them out into the world naked and unprotected.
Saturday Evening – Dinner & Dance Gala – All the couples got dressed up in their finest and gathered for a lovely dinner and dancing. The ladies wore beautiful dresses, and the husbands were decked out in their sharp suits.
Sunday Morning – Church Service – We were not able to stay for the morning service because I had to be back in town at our church for a Bible Doctrine Class. I didn’t want to miss the class because we only have two lessons left and I have not missed a single one.
Bonus: There was also a wedding ceremony on Saturday just before the Dinner Party. A young couple exchanged their vows before God in the presence of their church family. They were so cute and I pray that their union will be blessed as they begin their LIFT journey together. They are surely surround by a multitude of strong couples to help encourage and mentor them along the way.
Valentine’s Day Dress 2017 – Red Dress – Vogue 1531
When you say, “Gala,” you KNOW the first thing a seamstress will consider is THE DRESS. After going through my pattern stash, I settled on Vogue 1531. I fell in love with this pattern the moment I laid eyes on it and the fabric has been in my stash since mid-2016. I picked it up at the Michael Levine Loft, and knew it would be used for my Valentine’s Day Dress for this year. I had originally planned on making a floor-length gown for the Gala, so when I chose Vogue 1531, my intention was to add length and fullness to the bottom of the skirt (like a mermaid dress). However, after working on the dress for 2 days and running out of time, I decided to leave it short. I wasn’t too thrilled with having to do this because I prefer to wear my dresses and skirts below the knees. However, it was too late to change it, so I went with the flow. I figured wearing the cowl pulled up as a hood would give the dress that dramatic look I was seeking. Now that it’s all done and the Gala is over, I’m really glad I didn’t make it into an evening gown because now I will get more wear from it. I can wear it on a special dinner date with my husband or any event that requires dressy attire. I will probably make it again, but in a woven fabric (maybe).
Create the Look!
- Pattern = Vogue 1531
- Fabric = This particular fabric is not on the website. Both knits and wovens will work for this pattern.
- Shoes = Rhinestone Evening Sandals
- Clutch = Local Mall (No website)
- Backless Bra = Braza Deep Plunge Bra (This is the bra I wore.)
- Backless Bra = Silicone Lift Bra (This is for the voluptuous lady who needs more support.)
What About You?
Did you make a dress for Valentine’s Day?
Thanks for stopping by!
Remember: When you live in your DESIGN, it is from there that God SHINES!
Meet CEMO – my husband, photographer, videographer and biggest supporter! Thank you, my Valentine, for all you do! I love you!
(All Photos Courtesy of CEMO – except the one I took of him!)