Hello everyone! Yaaaaay! It’s time to sew! I’m super excited about teaching you the basics of sewing. I absolutely LOVE what I do, and having an opportunity to share it with others is a great blessing for me. Below you’ll find the first video: Learn to Sew – Project #1 (Lesson 1). This video will also be posted on the “Learn to Sew” page of this Blog later. Therefore, if you ever need to find a video from the course, you can go directly to that page and follow the titles.
When planning for your project, please avoid fabrics with STRIPES, PLAIDS, and ONE WAY DIRECTION PRINTS!!! These types of fabrics require advanced skill for layout and cutting. (One way direction fabric has a design that points in one direction. For example: if you choose a fabric with butterflies and they are all printed onto the fabric in one direction, that fabric will require matching. In the same way, avoid THIN KNITS (they may cause you problems in the beginning). Also, make sure you PURCHASE AN EXTRA 1/2 YARD OF FABRIC for this project.
We will be using Butterick 4686 for our first project.
PDF Pocket Pattern Piece
Here is the PDF pocket pattern piece that you will hear about in the video. You can print it onto regular copy paper. You will need this piece if you wish to add pockets to your design. PDF Pocket Pattern Piece
Lesson 1 – Video Corrections
Because the text overlays are not visible for those viewing the video from mobile devices, I want to list here what you missed.
- Measurements: (@ 01:27.00) Wear undergarments when taking measurements.
- Fabric Yardage: (@ 07:59.0) YARD (not inches)
- Supplies: (@ 09:13.0) All supplies may be purchased online also.
- Store: (@ 11:23.4) We’re in the “FABRIC” section.
- Fabric: (@ 12:21.0) Purchase extra fabric (1/4 -1/2 yard)
- Fabric: (@ 13:16.0) Purchase extra fabric (1/4 -1/2 yard)
- Fabric: (@ 15:37.1) Also avoid “thin” knit fabrics. They will frustrate you in the beginning.
- Fabric: (@ 17:22.1) “Lay” out
I wish you much success as you begin your sewing journey. If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments below.
Thanks for stopping by!
Remember: When you live in your DESIGN, it is from there that God SHINES!
Start the Course Here
I suggest you watch the entire video before purchasing your fabric and notions.
Inspiration Photos Below
To give you an idea of what the finished project will look like, here are several photos of the ones I’ve made already. It’s your turn! Have fun with it!
My Fabric Choices:
- Red/White Polka Dot = 100% Cotton (Quilting Section @ JoAnn’s)
- Yellow Floral = 100% Cotton (Quilting Section @ JoAnn’s)
- Blue/Black Dotted = Medium Weight Knit (Michael Levine Loft)
All Photos Courtesy of CEMO!