Hello everyone! We’ve made 3 skirts so far. Now it’s time to move on to a different type of garment. In Project #4 we are making a knit top. If you are just joining the Sewing Course, please start with Project #1 and progress through the lessons before starting this project. In each lesson you are learning new techniques needed for the next project. For those of you who have been following along, you will also learn several new techniques in this project:
- Finding Fabric Grain;
- Pattern Adjustment for a Full Bust (FBA);
- Seam Finishing
- Hem Finishing
- Inserting Sleeves
- Inserting Neck Band
This is another pattern that you can sew up in no time, once you’ve mastered the basic techniques.
Create the Look
- Shirt Pattern: New Look 6458 (View C) or Butterick 5215 (For Plus Size) (View A)
- Farbric: Rayon Spandex (I used leftovers from the maxi skirt we made in Project #2.)
- Skirt Pattern: Butterick 3037 (You can follow the steps in Project #3 to make this skirt)
- Skirt Fabric: Houndstooth Knit
- Shoes: Off Saks Fifth (in-store purchase — no link available)
- Handbag: Aldo Shoes
- Fedora: “B Iconic” at the Fashion Outlets of Las Vegas (no website, only a facebook page) – Most items $10!!!
This is a basic top with endless styling options. I believe it’s safe to say we all have at least one of these t-shirts in our wardrobe. It can be dressed up or down, for work or play, and it never goes out of style – a timeless piece.
If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments below, or send me an email message.
To receive email notifications for future posts to this blog, SUBSCRIBE at the end of this post or in the side bar.
Thanks for stopping by!
Remember: “When you live in your DESIGN, it is from there that God SHINES!”
Here are photos of the finished shirt. You will find the video for Project #4 at the end of this post.
All Photos Courtesy of CEMO!